Hertwich circular sawing plants are an important part of automated billet production facilities.
After cooling logs pass over a combination of storage conveyors and roller table lines to arrive at the billet saw, to be cut into short or long billets as required. Parameter changes for new Batches of logs are automated for fast and efficient implementation. No manual adjustments are required.
Production parameters like heat treatment recipe, finished cut length, bundle dimensions, customer data etc are downloaded from the production planning system (PPS). Log travel throughout the plant is fully automated.
In case quality flaws are detected by the ultrasonic inspection station, the relevant sections of a log are automatically scrapped at the saw.
Hertwich “log tracking” starts at the log laydown station of the continuous homogenizing plant and ends with completed billet bundles at the stacker crane.
- Swarf exhaust system and optional automatic briquetting press
- Scrap manipulator for efficient removal of off-cuts from the sawing position into scrap containers
- Marking devices including hard stamping and ink-jet-marking, as well as the new extra-robust and fast pin stamping devices of the “Hertwich Pintype Speed” range (cycle time 3 sec.)
- Billet Stacker for short or long billets
- PET and/or steel band strapping unit with wooden runners storage and positioning device
- Integrated weighing system with label printer and applicator
- Overhead crane for discharge of billet bundles
Some installations have been designed to cut and stack long and short billets at the same time, e.g. out of a 8 meter log one 6 meter billet plus two 800mm billets.
Stacking is carried out independent from strapping, weighing and discharge. While one bundle is being stacked another bundle is being strapped, weighed and discharged.